第二条 福建师范大学简称为“福建师大”；英文名称为Fujian Normal University，英文缩写为“FNU”。
The Constitution of FujianNormalUniversity
Fujian Normal University (FNU) is one of the earliest normal universities in?xml:namespace>China. Its predecessor, Fukien Normal College, was founded in 1907 by Chen Bao Shen, a Qing Dynasty emperor’s teacher. In 1953, Fujian Normal College came into being on the merger of Hwnan Women’s College, Fukien Christian University, Fukien Specialized Postsecondary Normal College, Fukien Academy, FukienLaw-and-Politics Specialized College, National College of Coastal Territory and FuzhouUniversity. In 1972, FujianNormalCollege was renamed Fujian Normal University. In 2003, the University was designated as one of the key institutions of higher education in Fujian. In 2012, it was honored as the university co-supported by the Fujian provincial government and the Ministry of Education. In 2014, it was further designated as a high-level university for key-construction in Fujian.
Carrying forward the glorious tradition of patriotism, dedication, and teachers as role models, the University practices the motto of “to know and to act, with devotion and with aspiration”, honors a pledge to “teach earnestly, study diligently, seek truth and promote innovation,” and highlights the characteristics of teacher education. Training talents, promoting academic research, serving community, and perpetuating civilization – these are the University’s vigorous commitments to building a high-level comprehensive university with distinctive features.
Chapter I General Provisions
Article 1 The Constitution is formulated in accordance with the practical conditions of the University andThe Education Law of the People’s Republic of China,The Higher Education Law of the People’s Republic of China,The Temporal Policies of Enacting Regulations for Institutions of Higher Education and other related laws and regulations. The purpose of the Constitution is to guarantee the law-based running and autonomy of the University.
Article 2“福建师范大学” is abbreviated as“福建师大”. Its English version is “FujianNormalUniversity”, abbreviated as “FNU”.
Article 3 The registered address of the University is No. 8, Shangsan Road, Cangshan District, Fuzhou, Fujian. Its two main campuses are Qishan Campus and Cangshan Campus. The University shall be entitled to set up and adjust its campuses and locations to meet its needs.
Article 4Fujian Provincial People’s Government, the sponsor of the University, shall provide responsible for the macro-guidance for the running of the University, enforce law supervision, provide school funds, guarantee the basic operating conditions of the University, support the authorities in running the University independently according to laws, regulations and the University’s Constitution, and protect the legal rights and interests of the University.
Article 5 The University shall be an institution identified as a legal person for higher education with public welfare being its ultimate aim. Its basic functions cover talents training, scientific research, society service, cultural inheritance and innovation, and independent operation to meet social needs and demands. It shall run the University independently and open to society, accepting the administration, supervision and evaluation from the education departments of higher authorities by law.
Article 6 The University shall practice the system whereby the President takes overall responsibilities under the leadership of the University Committee of the Communist Party of China, adhering to the leadership of the CPC of the University, with the President taking overall responsibilities, professors governing academic affairs, and faculty, staff and students participating in democratic management.
Article 7 The University shall adhere to socialism, devote itself to the basic tasks of moral education and talents training, and educate students through teaching, management and services, trying its best to cultivate high-quality talents with social conscience, innovating spirit and practical ability.
Article 8 The University shall adhere to the strategy of “academic pursuit as cornerstone, special features as relish, and talented personnel as enhancer”, promote the projects of “teaching reform, scientific innovation, disciplinary development, open education, cultural guidance and scientific management”, implement the upgrading plans in education quality and innovation capability, and strive to enhance the overall strength and level of the University.
Article 9The University shall highlight the characteristics of teacher education, by way of providing stronger and better teacher training programs and an active service for the development of basic education, so as to make the University an experimental plot forChina’s basic education, a think tank for decision-making in education, as well as a cradle of future quality teachers.
Chapter IITeaching and Learning
Article 10 The University shall entrench the central position of personnel training, further the reform in education and teaching, innovate the training mode, intensify the educational characteristics of “solid foundation, heavy practice, growing innovation, and stronger ability”, thus effectively improving the quality of talents training.
Article 11The University shall provide programs of general higher education, complemented by continuing education, online education, and degree and non-degree education in other forms.
The major education forms of the University are those of full-time degrees, notably undergraduate and graduate educations. The University shall determine and adjust by law the lengths of schooling for degree education.
Article 12 The University shall, with a view to catering to the needs of economic and social development of the State and Fujian Province, establish and adjust, in accordance to laws, disciplines and programs, determine the number of students, make admission plans, and enroll students by the principle of being “open, fair, just, and meritocratic”.
The University shall provide disciplines and programs covering philosophy, economics, law, education, literature, history, science, engineering, agriculture, management, and arts.
Article 13The University shall,authorized by law, issue academic certificates and degree certificates and, adhering to the national degree system, confer bachelor, master, doctorate degrees.
Article 14The University shall vigorously conduct scientific research, establish and upgrade a scientific evaluation system, encouraging the combination of collaborative innovation and free exploration and promoting academic progress, scientific and technological innovation, as well as the economic and cultural transformation of research findings.
Article 15The University shall adhere to the practice of open education, carrying out international exchanges and cooperation at high levels in a wide range of fields and channels, raising the level of internationalization of higher education by actively expanding cooperation with foreign countries and establishing an international brand in teaching Chinese to speakers of other languages.
Article 16The University shall take advantage of cooperation and exchange between Fujian and Taiwan, striving to make some antecedent efforts to further cooperation in education, to expand the studies on Taiwan, and to enhance the level of exchanges and cooperation, so that the University will become a frontier stronghold and an important platform for cross-strait cooperation in education, science, technology, and culture.
Article 17Relying on itsadvantages and merits of a rich cultural heritage and strong humanities, the University shall vigorously promote cultural heritance and innovation, creating culture brands with characteristics of the University, thus contributing to the development and prosperity of national and local cultures.
Chapter III Governance and Administrative System
Section 1 System of Leadership and Organizational Structure
Article 18 Fujian Normal University Committee of the Communist Party of China is the core of leadership of the University, performing duties stipulated by the Constitution of the CPC and other relevant documents, navigating the orientation of the University’s development, deciding on major issues of administration, supervising over the implementation of resolutions and decisions over major issues, and supporting the President in performing power and duties independently, responsibly and legally, so as to ensure the fulfillment of the University’s missions with the cultivation of talents as its core. The chief duties of the CPC ofthe Universityare stated as follows:
1. The CPC ofthe Universityshall adhere to the Party’s lines, principles and policies, particularly in implementing the Party’s policies concerning education and stick to the principles of taking socialist orientation and managing the University by law, strengthening moral education and regarding the faculty, staff and students as reliable force in running the University, so as to educate students morally, intellectually, physically and aesthetically, and to make them qualified contributors and reliable successors to the cause of socialism with Chinese characteristics.
2. The CPC of the University shall discuss and decide on major issues regarding the reform, development, stability, teaching, research, and administration of the University as well as the establishment of a fundamental management system of the University.
3. The CPC of the University shall, according to the principle of the Party exercising leadership over cadre affairs, undertake the responsibility of selecting, training, nurturing, assessing and supervising the cadres within its cadre-managing authority, review and decide on the establishment of the University’s subordinate bodies and the selection of their leaders, nominate the candidates for the leadership of the University and recommend reserve cadres in conformity to an appropriate procedure, and carry out its duty in the affairs of the retired staff as well.
4. The CPC of the University shall be involved in reviews and decision-making of the University’s strategic plans and major policies regarding the recruitment and development of academic and professional staff, with a view to innovating the institutional system, optimizing the conditions, and coordinating the overall procedures for attracting all types of talents and helping the academic and professional development of the staff.
5. The CPC of the University shall exercise leadership over political, ideological and moral work in the University, striving to equip the faculty and staff and students with the theory of socialism with Chinese characteristics, and to cultivate and practice the socialist core values. It shall take a strong hold of the rights of leadership, management and authority over ideological issues, maintaining the security and stability of the University and promoting the development of a harmonious campus.
6. The CPC of the University shall be involved in the enrichment of cultural life on campus with a view to enhancing the role of culture in education and creating excellent disciplinary, academic and professional atmosphere in the University.
7. The CPC of the University shall strengthen its leadership over its basic-level Party organizations in colleges and other divisions, making effort to recruit new Party members and to educate, manage and serve all the Party members in a good manner. It shall also improve intra-Party democracy, giving to full play the role of basic-level Party organizations as militant bastions and of Party members as examples and vanguards of the Party. In the meanwhile, the CPC of the University shall enhance its own development in all aspects.
8. The CPC of the University shall exercise leadership over the Party discipline inspection in the University, assuming responsibilities for improving the Party conduct, upholding integrity and developing a preventive and punishing system against corruption.
9. The CPC of the University shall exercise leadership over such people’s organizations as the University’s Labor Union, Communist Youth League,Committee for the Care of Next Generation, Youth Federation, Students’ Union, and Graduates’ Union as well as the Faculty and StaffCongress (FSC). It shall also perform its function in the work of the united front.
10. The CPC of the University shall be involved in the discussion and decision-making of other important matters concerning the benefits of students, faculty and staff.
The Plenary Session of the University’s CPC shall, as the leading body when the University Party Members Congress is not in session, perform its power and function of leadership in the University’s management. The Plenary Session is to be convened by the Standing Committee of the University’s CPC with the presence of at least two thirds of the total number of its members. In the case of a voting procedure, the voting result shall be accepted and approved if and only if the number of those voting in favor exceeds half of the quorum.
The Standing Committee shall be in charge of the Party’s routine work. A meeting of the Standing Committee can be held when and only when at least half of its members are present and, regarding such important decisions as the appointment and removal of certain cadres, a meeting can be held when and only when at least two thirds of its members are present. In the case of a voting procedure, the voting result shall be accepted and approved if and only if the number of those voting in favor exceeds half of the quorum. The Standing Committee shall be convened and chaired by its general secretary. Required to attend any such meeting are the non-voting administrative leaders of the University who are not members of the Standing Committee, the heads of the General Affairs Office, the Discipline Inspection Commission and the Planning and Development Division. Other non-voting attendees are to be specified as occasions require.
Article 19ThePresident shall be the legal person of the University and responsible to the University for administration. Under the leadership of the CPC of the University, the President shall implement the educational policies of the Party, ensure the implementation of the decisions made by the Standing Committee, exercise the rights and perform the duties as stipulated in theThe Higher Education Law of the People’s Republic of China, and shall be held responsible for the whole of teaching and learning, academic research and administrative management. The President’s major duties shall be stated as follows.
1. The President shall organize the mapping-out and implementation of the plans for the development of the University, the fundamental management system, major measures for teaching and research reforms, the plans for allocation of resources, concrete rules and regulations, and annual work plans.
2. The President shall organize the mapping-out and implementation of the plans for the internal organizing structure of the University and, authorized by the State law and other regulations governing the selection of leaders, nominate vice presidents and appoint or remove the heads of various divisions in the internal structure.
3. The President shall organize the mapping-out and implementation of the plans for the career development of talents, for the major “talent projects” and, according to relevant rules and regulations, shall be responsible for the construction of teacher teams and for the employment and dismissal of teachers and other staff members.
4. The President shall organize the mapping-out and implementation of the plans for major basic constructions as well as annual budgeting, and shall enforce financial management and its examination and supervision to protect the resources of the University.
5. The President shall organize teaching and learning activities and academic research so as to promote cultural transmission and innovation and contribute to the development of society and economy at both national and local levels.
6. The President shall organize moral and ideological education, be responsible for the status management of the students and the implementation of their rewards and punishments, and organize the students’ admissions and promote their employment.
7. The President shall see to the safety and security of the University and to its logistic maintenance.
8. The President shall organize cooperation and exchange with other institutions at home and abroad and, authorized by law, represents the University to sign contracts with governmental and social organizations both at home and abroad and officially accept donations from society.
9. The President shall report to the CPC of the University on the implementation of major resolutions and to the FSC on his or her work, organize the adoption or rejection of proposals as regards the University’s administration, and assist in the work of the Party branches, non-Communist parties, parties for the united front, nonparty fraternities, people’s organizations and academic organizations at different levels of the University.
10. The President shall exercise other rights and perform other duties as prescribed inthe Constitution of the University and other laws and regulations.
The President’s Administrative Office Meeting is the University’s administrative meeting for making administrative decisions and policies, to be called and chaired by the President. Its constituent body consists of the Party and administrative leaders of the University, the non-voting heads of the General Affairs Office, the Discipline Supervision Commission and the Planning and Development Division. Other non-voting attendees are to be specified as occasions require. The President’s Administrative Office Meeting is not to be convened unless attended by more than half of all its members in office. For all proposed agendas and issues, the President’s final decisions should be based on extensive consultation and exchange of views with all attendees.
Article 20 All major decision-makings, appointments and dismissals of important officials, arrangements of large-scale projects, and extremely large expenditures in the University shall be decided upon under the principle of collective discussion and collective decision-making.
Article 21 Fujian Normal University Commission for Discipline Inspection of the Communist Party of China is the supervisory body of the Party in the University. Under the leadership of the University Party Committee and the higher-level Commissions for Discipline Inspection, Fujian Normal University Commission for Discipline Inspection shall, with the University’s central issues at its focus, check up on the implementation of the Party’s lines, principles, policies and resolutions as well as of important decisions of the University, assist the University Party Committee in improving the Party conduct and upholding integrity and in coordinating the operation of anti-corruption, and ultimately, securing and promoting the healthy and scientific development of the University in the entirety of its undertakings.
Article 22The University shall constitute a Board of Trustees as an advisory body, consisting of the following members: sponsor of the University, leaders of the University, entities that help fund the University, outstanding alumni, social celebrities, and distinguished experts outside the University. The Board of Trustees shall, in accordance with its own bylaws, engage itself in organizing consultations over key issues of the University, fundraising, and optimization of links between the University and society.
Article 23 The University’s democratic parties, united front and friendship associations of non-party personages shall carry out activities with their own respective bylaws or constitutions.
Article 24 The University’s Labor Union is a people’s organization formed by faculty and staff members of their own free will. It operates under the leadership of the University Party Committee and of its higher-level labor unions. Established under the principle of democratic centrism, the Labor Union fulfills its functions and duties in accordance with Labor Union Law of the People’s Republic of China and Constitution of the Chinese Labor Unions. The Labor Union Committee shall be elected in a democratic manner through a general assembly or representative assembly.
Article 25 The University’s Chinese Communist Youth League Committee is a people’s organization formed by outstanding young students in the University. It operates under the leadership of the University Party Committee and of its higher-level Youth League committees. In accordance with its bylaws, it carries out its work and fulfills its functions and duties.
Article 26 The University shall, based on the principle of efficient, simple, appropriate and normative administration, enjoy its autonomy in setting up its CPC branch committees, administrative departments and offices, and other public service organizations, defining their functions and duties.
Article 27 The University shall establish a number of independent research schools (institutes, and centers) and other management and academic institutions to fulfill the tasks of talent education, scientific research, social services and international communication and cooperation.
Article 28The University-affiliated units with independent legal qualifications and other types of organizations affiliated with the University shall exercise comparatively independent management and administration as stipulated by state laws and regulations as well as rules of the University and bear corresponding legal liabilities.
Article 29The University shall, in accordance with the needs for talent cultivation and disciplinary construction, constitute a number of colleges and make adjustments when necessary.
The College is the concrete organizing and implementing unit for talent cultivation, scientific research, social services, cultural inheritance and innovation, carrying out a self-governance policy in accordance with the University constitution.
Article 30The College shall, upon approval by the University Party Committee, set up a subordinate Party committee (General Party Branch). Its major functions and duties are as follows:
1. The Party Committee shall publicize and carry out the lines, principles and policies of the Party and various decisions of the University, and play a role in guaranteeing and overseeing their implementation.
2. The Party Committee shall discuss and decide on the unit’s key issues through the Joint Party-Administration Meeting. It shall also support the unit’s administrators and leaders in working independently and responsibly within the scope of their duties.
3. The Party Committee shall be responsible for the Party’s development in ideology, organization, work style, anti-corruption, integrity upholding and, system of Chinese socialism, providing specific guidance for its Party branches in carrying out work.
4. The Party Committee shall lead the unit in ideological and political work.
5. The Party Committee shall educate and administrate the unit’s Party members and officials.
6. The Party Committee shall exercise leadership over the FSC and such mass organizations of the College as Labor Union, Communist Youth League, Committee for the Care of the Next Generation and Students’ Union.
Article 31 The Head of the College shall be the principal executive official of the College and perform the following duties governed by and subordinated to relevant laws and regulations and the University’s constitution.
1.The Head shall organize the unit’s student education.
2.The Head shall organize the development of academic disciplines and of teaching faculty.
3. The Head shall organize the activities of scientific research, social services and cultural inheritance and innovation.
4. The Head shall be responsible for the recruitment, management and evaluation of the faculty and staff members of the College.
5. The Head shall draw up financial budgets and take responsibility for finance and asset management of the College.
6. The Head shall organize international communication and cooperation.
7. The Head shall perform other duties prescribed by the University.
The Head shall report the work to the faculty and staff members or the FSC of the College.
Article 32The College shall adopt the Joint Party-Administration Meeting system in making major decisions. Members of Joint Party-Administration Meeting shall be composed of Secretary of the Party Committee, Head of the college, Deputy Secretary of the Party Committee, Associate Heads of the College and Chairperson of the Labor Union. The leaders of the College’s Party and administration shall decide on personnel concerned to attend the meeting as required. The meeting shall, governed by certain procedural rules, discuss and decide on such important issues of the College as talent cultivation, scientific research, disciplinary construction, teaching faculty development, political and ideological work, and administrative management.
Article 33The College shall constitute a Professors Committee, whose members are elected or recommended from senior professional and technical personnel, to assess, in accordance with relevant bylaws, such matters as curriculum planning, disciplinary construction, teacher evaluation and appointment, academic appraisal, and pedagogical instruction.
Section 3Management of Academic Affairs
Article 34 The Academic Committee of the University, which provides scholarly consultation, inspection, evaluation and decision making, is the highest governing body of academic affairs in the University. The Academic Committee shall, constitute, in accordance with certain needs, a number of specialized sub-committees like Teaching Committee, Scientific Research Committee and Appointment Committee.
Article 35 The Academic Committee shall consist of professors of different disciplines and majors, researchers with senior professional titles and a certain proportion of young teachers. The proportion of members who are CPC or administrative officials must be less than a quarter, and the number of professors who are not CPC officials or colleges’ chief leaders should not be less than a half of the total.
Members of the Academic Committee shall be determined based on a series of procedures, including recommendation, open selection and election.
The following issues shall be reviewed or resolved by the Academic Committee before being submitted to the CPC Standing Committee of the University or the President’s Administrative Office Meeting:
1. Important plans concerning disciplinary construction, teacher development, scientific research and academic exchange and cooperation;
2. Establishment of or application for new programs;
3. Plans on the setting of academic institutions, inter-disciplinary or cross-disciplinary coordination and innovation system and of the allocation of disciplinary resources;
4. The evaluation criteria and assessment measures on academic achievements and the quality of talent education;
5. Terms and conditions for degree conferment, degree education criteria, teaching plans and the standards and methods for student admission;
6. Standards and methods for the appointment of teachers’ professional positions;
7. Academic evaluation, rules for dispute settlement and regulations of academic ethics;
8. Organizational procedures and bylaws for specialized academic committees; and
9. Other academic affairs deemed necessary to be submitted and scrutinized by the University.
The following academic affairs, which involve intellectual assessment, shall be settled by the Academic Committee or other academic organizations authorized by it:
1. Recommendation and selection of teaching and research achievements and awards;
2. Attraction and selection of high-level talents, appointment of honorary (guest) professors and recommendation of candidates for positions in important national or international academic organizations, and selection of candidates for talent cultivation;
3. Establishment of various academic or research funds, research projects and teaching and research awards; and
4. Other affairs that need academic evaluation.
The University shall inform the Academic Committee before making plans of important development programs and strategies related to academic affairs, applying for large-scale teaching and research projects and making decisions on large and important cooperation programs. The Academic Committee shall provide advisory opinions accordingly.
Colleges of the University shall set up their secondary academic committees to perform the duties entrusted by the Academic Committee of the University.
Article 36 The University shall set up a Teaching Committee, responsible for reviewing and discussing important issues related to teaching activities, a Research Committee, responsible for the consultation, reviewing, evaluation and coordination of decisions related to scientific research and an Appointment Committee, responsible for the appointment of professional staff and positions of all levels and categories. All these specialized committees perform their duties in accordance with specific bylaws examined and approved by the Academic Committee.
Article 37 The Academic Committee and its specialized committees shall be presided over by chairpersons. The Committee or committees can be convened provided that over two thirds of the members are present. Nonvoting delegates shall be approved and invited by the chairperson. Decisions shall be adopted in accordance with the majority rule. Major decisions shall be passed provided that they are approved by over two thirds of the members present.
Article 38 The University shall set up its Academic Degree Evaluation Committee to exercise powers over issues related to academic degrees, making decisions and evaluations. The Academic Degree Evaluation Committee shall perform the following major duties:
1. To evaluate and confer or revoke bachelor, master or doctoral degrees;
2. To establish, adjust, or revoke master or doctorate disciplines;
3. To examine and evaluate the construction of degree accreditation units and of degree conferment;
4. To select master and doctorate supervisors;
5. To examine and decide upon rules and regulations related to academic degrees; and
6. To discuss and handle disputes and other issues related to conferment of academic degrees.
The Academic Degree Evaluation Committee shall be constituted in accordance with state laws and regulations, and bylaws approved by the University. The Committee shall be chaired by the President of the university. Members of the Committee shall be nominated by the President of the University and approved by the President Administrative Office Meeting, and the results shall be presented to the Provincial Academic Degree Committee.
Each college shall constitute a secondary Academic Degree Committee and perform its duties as authorized by the University’s Academic Degree Evaluation Committee.
Section 4 Democratic Administration Institutions
Article 39 The FSC shall be the fundamental means for the participation of the faculty and staff in the management and oversight of the University. It shall exercise its powers in accordance with procedures stipulated under the guidance of the University Party Committee and support the President in exercising his or her powers to manage the University. The University’s Labor Union is the working body of the Faculty and Staff Congress. The University’s Labor Union shall, together with an elected executive committee, perform the duties of the Faculty and Staff Congress.
Article 40 The representatives of the FSC shall be elected by all the faculty and staff of the University. The FSC shall be chaired by the chairperson of the presidium and can be convened provided over two thirds of the FSC members are present. Elections and voting at the FSC are valid provided they are approved by over half of the representatives present. The FSC shall perform the following duties:
1. The FSC shall listen to reports on the formulation and revision of the University constitution and provide amendments and suggestions.
2. The FSC shall listen to reports on the University’s development planning, faculty and staff development, education and teaching reform, campus construction and other major reforms and solutions to major issues and provide opinions and suggestions.
3.The FSC shalllisten to theUniversity’s annual general work report, financial report,LaborUnion’s work report and other reports on specific issues,providing opinionsand suggestions.
4.The FSC shalldiscussand approvewelfare programs and internal resource allocation policies proposed by the University and directly related to the benefits of faculty andstaff.The Congress shallalso discuss andapprove policies concerning the appointments, evaluation, awards or punishments of the faculty and staff.
5.The FSC shallconstitute aStaff and Staff AppealsCommitteeto accept staff appeals and protect the staff’s legal rights and benefits.
6.The FSC shallexamine reports on the handling of proposals lodged in the last FSC.
7.The FSC shallreviewand evaluatethe performance oftheUniversity’s chief administrators based on their job responsibilities and assignments.
8.The FSC shallexpress opinions and makesuggestions on the University’s affairs, oversee the implementation of the University’s Constitution, rules, regulations and resolutions and offer suggestions for improvement.
9.The FSC shalldiscuss issues prescribed by law, statutes and regulations or those agreed on by the University and the University’s Labor Union.
10. The opinions and suggestions of the FSC shall be stated in the resolutions of theFSC.
Article 41The University shall constitute and improve the system ofsecondary FSC at its colleges. The secondary senate is subject to the leadership of the unit’s Party Committee. Directed by the University’s Labor Union and Acting Committee of the University’s FSC, it participates in the management and oversight of its respective college in accordance with duties of the FSC.
Article 42 The StudentUnion and Graduate StudentUnionshall be organizationscarrying out self-management, self-service and self-education,under the guidance of the UniversityParty Committee and the instruction of the University’s Youth League Committee. They are important means for the students to exercise democratic rights and to participate in the democratic governance of the University.The Students Assembly and the Graduate Students Assembly are to be held annually or once every two years, which can be termed legitimate provided that over two thirds of the elected representatives are present. Elections are made and resolutions are passed by votes. The Students Assembly and Graduate Students Assembly perform the following duties:
1.To review and pass the work reports of the previous committee;
2.To discuss and determine the responsibilities of the new committee;
3.To revise and approve the Student Union Charter and the Graduate Student Union Charter;
4.Toelect members of the new Student Union and of the Graduate Student Union;
5.To handle student representatives’ proposals; and
6.To handle other matters within the job responsibilities ofthe Student Assembly and the Graduate Student Assembly.
The presidium’s president and members shall bepubliclyelected bythe Student Assembly and the Graduate Student Assembly or their standing committees.
For the period between the Assembly meetings, routine activities shall be managed by the Student Union and the Graduate Student Union.
Article 43 The Universityshallencouragethe Student Assembly and the Graduate Student Assembly to pass on, by legal means, students’ suggestions, opinions and appeals, participate in the democratic governance of the University and protect the students’ legitimate rights and benefits. Hearings shall be held for major decisions related to students’ benefits, and the presidents of the Student Union and Graduate Student Union shall be invited to attend as observersthe meetings of the University’s Standing Committee of the CPC or the President’s Administrative Office Meeting.
Chapter IV Faculty and Staff
Article 44The University personnel shall consist of faculty and technical, administrative and logistic staff.
Article 45 Teachers shall be the leading force of the University. The University shall respect and care for the teachers, providing necessary conditions to guarantee their teaching and scientific research activities.
Article 46 The University’s faculty and staff shall enjoy the following rights:
1. To use public resources of the University reasonably and justly;
2. To have equal access to working opportunities and conditions for personal development;
3. To obtain fair evaluation in terms of ethics, ability, performance, etc.;
4. To have equal access to awards and honorary titles;
5. To be informed of the University’s reform, development, and important matters concerning their immediate interests;
6. To participate in administration and supervision, providing suggestions on the management of the University;
7. To express their different opinions and file appeals concerning employment and promotion, benefits and well-being, awards, penalties, and other matters; and
8. To enjoy other rights stipulated by laws, regulations, and rules of the State and the University, and employment contracts.
Article 47 The University faculty and staff shall perform the following obligations:
1. To abide by the Constitution of the State, laws and professional ethics, to be models for students, to adhere to determined ideals and beliefs and solid knowledge;
2. To protect the reputation and interests of the University and to comply with the rules and regulations of the University;
3. To work diligently, responsibly and discreetly, fulfilling teaching and scientific research tasks and those prescribed by the position concerned;
4. To respect and love students with a benevolent heart, educating the students through teaching, management and service;
5. To have noble morality, abiding by academic norms and ethics; and
6. To fulfill other obligations stipulated by laws, regulations, and rules of the State and the University, and employment contracts.
Article 48The University shall introduce the system of talents competition, designing posts and positions scientifically, improving the systems of cadres, personnel and labor.
Article 49The University shall move forward personnel reform, requiring its faculty to be certified professionally and promoted academically on the basis of their qualifications. It shall, combining post set-up with appointment and employment, assess and evaluate the performance of faculty and staff as required by post duties, and the evaluation results shall be used in a variety of appointments, promotions, awards, and penalties for the faculty and staff.
Article 49The University shall set up a Teacher Ethics Committee, normalizing teachers’ professional behavior and promoting teachers’ cultivation of noble morality.
Article 51 The University shall enhance the service and management of retired and senior comrades, taking care of their political treatment and material benefits.
Article 53The University shall practice the systems of hearing, discussion meeting and of University Leader Reception Day, soliciting opinions and suggestions from its faculty and staff.
Article 53The University shallformulate a payment system for its faculty and staff which is consistent with the developmental levels, setting up and enhancing relevant mechanisms to protect the rights of its faculty and staff. Any of the faculty or staff objecting to a certaindisciplinary treatment or punishment imposed by the University may lodge a complaint or appeal to the University’sStaff AppealsCommittee. The University shall deal with the complaint concerned according to the procedures of acceptance, factual investigation, reviewing and decision making.
Chapter V Students
Article 54Students refer to those who are enrolled in the University according to national enrollment regulations, who have obtained the entrance qualification and who have the school status.
Article 55 Students shall enjoy the following rights:
1. To have equitable access to the University’s education, to public education resources and to basic conditions for the enhancement of practice and innovation;
2. To participate in social practice by organizing and participating in student associations and recreational and sports activities inside the University;
3. To have fair access to further studies at home and abroad, academic exchanges, social services and work-study programs; and
4. To have access to fair evaluations in ideological, moral and academic achievements and the obtainment of corresponding academic certificates and degree certificates after meeting course and other requirements.
5. To apply for scholarships, grants-in-aid, hardship grants or tuition waivers according to relevant provisions of the State and of the University;
6. To participate in the democratic management of the University according to laws and familiarity with major issues concerning the reform and development of the University and the rights and interests of the students, as well as the rights to give opinions and suggestions on the University affairs; and
7. To have other rights prescribed by laws, regulations and rules.
Article 56 Students shall fulfill the following obligations:
1. To be diligent with integrative morality and discernment, honest and proactive in an all-round development and completion of studies according to the provisions of the University;
2. To comply with rules and regulations of the University and norms of student behavior;
3. To cherish and safeguard the University’s reputation and interests, and to take care of and make rational use of the University’s educational equipment and life facilities;
4. To pay tuition fees and other related expenses on time according to relevant provisions of the State and of the University;
5. To fulfill their corresponding obligations following the receipt of student loans and grants-in-aid; and
6. To abide by other obligations prescribed by laws, regulations and rules.
Article 57 The University shall see to a sound student management system, establish and improve a full education mechanism and provide service for students’ development.
Article 58 The University shall guide students in cultivating good virtues, including cherishing the life, respecting human rights, teachers and elders, being honest and law-abiding, providing mutual help, protecting nature and showing enthusiasm for public benefits.
Article 59 The University shall care for students who have difficulties in studying or living, and provide them with necessary help for their healthy growth.
Article 60 The University shall recognize and reward student groups or individuals who have made outstanding achievements and who have won honor for the University.Recognition and rewards shall take various forms, from the granting of honorary group or individual titles to the bestowing of prizes.
Article 61 Students who violate the law or discipline shall be criticized and given corresponding disciplinary actions. Students who disagree with the punishment or decision of the University may file a complaint with the University’s Student Appeals Committee within the stipulated time. Students who receive disciplinary punishments (such as probation or worse) or who deem their major rights and benefits to be infringed upon may request a hearing.
Article 62 Students may organize student associations within the University in accordance with relevant provisions and carry out activities in accordance with laws and the University’s regulations.
Chapter VI Alumni
Article 63The Alumni of the University shall refer to all that have studied, worked or received training in the University or its predecessors as well as Chinese and overseas scholars with honorary titles, including emeritus, visiting and adjunct professors.
Article 64 The University shall maintain contact with its alumni and continue to provide service and convenience for their career development and continuing education.
The University shall encourage its alumni to participate in its construction and development and award honorary titles to those with outstanding contributions.
Article 65 The University shall establish an Alumni Association, which shall carry out activities in accordance with its bylaws to provide services for the alumni as well as uniting and rallying alumni at home and abroad to support the development of the University.
Chapter VII Funds, Assets and Logistics
Article 66 The University shall raise funds through various channels to increase its financial resources in accordance with relevant laws and regulations. The University’s funding shall consist of financial allocations, subsidies from higher units, undertaking revenue, operational revenue, social donations and other revenues.
Article 67The University shall adopt a financial administration system of unified leadership, centralized accounting, and decentralized administration in accordance withFinancial Regulations of Institutions of Higher Learning. The University shall insist on running the University diligently and thriftily, establishing an oversight system of a sound financial budget, internal control, economic responsibility and audit supervision, making financial information public in accordance with laws concerned to guarantee the safe operation of its funds and to improve its efficiency in the use of funds.
Article 68The University shall establish an Education Foundation to accept donations from all social sectors, enterprises, institutions and individuals. The University shall follow the principle of voluntary donation, using funds or items as designated, making accounts public for social supervision and giving full play to its efficiency in the use of funds.
Article 69 The University’s assets shall mainly come from governmental allocation, lawful revenues and donations, including fixed assets, current assets, projects under construction, intangible assets and investments. The University shall be entitled to possess, utilize and dispose its assets in accordance with relevant provisions of the State Council.
The University shall implement the state-owned assets management mechanism of unified leadership, centralized management, graded responsibility and clear responsibility management so as to strengthen the administration and optimize resource allocation.
Article 70The University shall, in accordance with state laws and regulations and relevant regulations of the University, strengthen its administration of patent rights, trademark rights, copyrights, land use rights as well as its name and honors, with a view to safeguarding its legitimate rights and interests as well as its good images.
Article 71 The University shall establish a sound logistics management and service system to guarantee the normal study, work and life of its students, faculty and staff.
Article 72 The University shall strengthen its infrastructure construction and advance the informatization level on campus, aiming to build a green and modern harmonious university with strong academic and cultural atmosphere.
Chapter VIII External Relations
Article 73 The University shall handle independently its internal affairs in conformity with state laws, regulations as well as provisions of this Constitution, subject to no illegal interference by any organizations or individuals.
Article 74 The University shall initiate to accept social oversight and evaluation, to practice the system of making information public, and to release to society timely and related information about the running of the University in accordance with provisions concerned.
Article 75 The University shall make full use of various resources, providing diversified educational services, contributing to the life-long educational system and the construction of a learning society.
Article 76The University shall provide active service for economic and social development of the country and various regions, vigorously promoting the popularization of science and technology and strategic decision consultation, making every effort to become an important base for the transformation of high-quality achievements as well as for high-level consulting and social service.
Article 77 The University shall implement a legal consultant system. The legal adviser shall provide legal advice for the University and, with the commission of the University, deal with or assist in dealing with legal issues related to the University.
Chapter IX The University’s Logos
Article 78 The University Emblem shall include the University Seal and the University Badge.
The University Seal is composed of two concentric circles, with one embedded in the other. In the inner circle, the upper part is the outward appearance of the earliest “FukienNormalCollege”. The lower part is the printed number “1907”, representing the year it was first established. In the outer circle, the upper part is the name of the University, inscribed by Zhao Puchu – a distinguished social activist and calligrapher. The lower part writes “FUJIANNORMALUNIVERSITY” in English upper case.
The University Badge is a rectangle badge with the name of the University inscribed, worn by the University’s students, faculty and staff.
Article 79 The University Song is “Song of Fujian Normal University”, with words by Xia Dong and Chang Qi, and music by Zhang Shaotong.
Article 80 The University Flag is red and rectangle. The middle part writes the Chinese and English names of the University, which are of yellow color.
Article 81 The University anniversary shall be on November 17.
Article 82 The University website is www.fjnu.edu.cn.
Chapter XSupplementary Provisions
Article 83 The division, merging and termination of the University shall be determined by Fujian Provincial People’s Government, the sponsor of the University.
Article 84 The Constitution shall be, after soliciting opinions from the University’s FSC, discussed and adopted by the President’s Administrative Office Meeting, reviewed by the Standing Committee meeting of the University’s CPC, checked and approved by Fujian Education Commission and presented to the Ministry of Education for approval.
Article 85The Constitution shall be the basic norm for the University activities. The regulations, measures and implementation details shall be formulated in accordance with the Constitution without any conflict.
Article 86 When the University’s tenets, development goals, organization and management system and other important issues are changed, the Constitution shall be revised by law. Revisions shall be checked and approved by Fujian Education Commission and presented to the Ministry of Education for approval.
Article 87 The Standing Committee meeting of the University CPC shall be responsible for providing explanations for the Constitution.
Article 88 The Constitution shall, after being checked and approved by Fujian Education Commission, take effect on the day of promulgation.